[dev] Ansel nits

Martin Fraser mdf at darksnow.net
Tue Jun 10 08:39:49 UTC 2008

Michael Rubinsky wrote:
> Quoting "Martin Fraser" <mdf at darksnow.net>:
>
>> Just as an aside, I've been looking at ways to represent thumbnails as
>> little slides, specifically the problem with vertical alignment, and
>> found that if you create one cell tables you can leave things looking
>> quote nice.
>>
>> The problem I have is that the size of the images must be known before
>> hand, not difficult with a bit of PHP, but I would have preferred a pure
>> CSS solution.
>
> yea, and we don't currently store the size of the thumbnails, nor could
> we without some difficulty as we have mulitiple thumbnails possible for
> the same image_id depending on the style selected..and I'm not sure it's
> worth parsing the image for the size for each thumbnail...

I guess that makes sense, don't want to overhead of reading the sizes
from the files just for this, but with my, admittedly VERY simple,
gallery, the thumb nail generation is done to a specified size so I just
assume that throughout.

>> I don't know if this is helpful or might give you ideas but have a look
>> on my website:
>
> Nice looking effect...and I notice the captions are center-aligned ;)  I
> was trying to avoid using yet more tables-as-a-layout-tool...but the
> current layout we have in the gallery view could probably due something
> very similar if you desired...you would just need to add a background
> color to the tile div and possibly a border.
>
> In fact, one of the styles I've been playing with on my local install
> adds a very light background color to the tile.

I also wanted to avoid the fixed table layout, but with making them
inline elements you get them to flow as they should, which I feel takes
away the table look. They had to be tables to get IE to vertically align
the images, other browsers let you get away with setting a DIV to
display: table-cell.

I'm not too sure what to do with the captions, but I liked the
translucent effect.

> Thanks,
> mike

Thanks for the brief critique.