[dev] line wrapping

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Jun 16 18:15:24 UTC 2008

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

> Quoting "Jan Schneider" <jan at horde.org>:
>
>> Zitat von Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>>
>>> I'd like to propose letting line-wrapping changes like this:
>>>
>>> -            return Horde::callHook('_whups_hook_get_attributes',
>>> $type, 'whups');
>>> +            return Horde::callHook('_whups_hook_get_attributes', $type,
>>> +                                   'whups');
>>>
>>> go. I don't know how many horde developers or people who read
>>> horde  code have fixed 80-column screens now, but to move, moving
>>> 9  characters to a new line does not increase overall code
>>> readability. Thoughts?
>>
>> I do, though admitted only to comply with the CS. I still think it
>> *does* increase readability, especially when the code otherwise
>> wraps on the screen like in the quoted code above.
>> But I'm fine with a more relaxed CS, like an optimal line length of
>>  80 chars and a maximum line length of 90, or 100.
>>

> I agree with Jan. I find code like that easier to read, maybe
> because  I've grown  used to it.  I'm all for a more relaxed line
> length/wrapping standard though.

Just to be me :), I disagree.  For something like this, I would prefer
just to let it wrap.  Splitting out into separate lines only makes
sense if there is a bunch of embeded parentheses/commas/etc.

But I also think that
$example = foo .
   longline .
   bar;

Makes a whole heck of a lot of sense more than
$example = foo
   . longline
   . bar;

That second example is really hard to read IMHO.

michael