[dev] shares performance hit (was Re: disable shares)

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Jun 17 09:24:17 UTC 2008

Zitat von Didi Rieder <adrieder at sbox.tugraz.at>:

> Quoting duck <duck at obala.net>:
>
>> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 17:00 +0200, Didi Rieder wrote:
>>> So the only thing left would be the "thread_cache_size" which is
>>> smaller then you are suggesing. I'll increase it and see if it helps.
>>
>> Maybe. Starting a new process for each new request gets pretty expensive
>> pretty quickly. Set your thread cache high enough that the
>> Threads_created value in SHOW STATUS stops increasing. Your CPU will
>> thank you. If is this the only reason maybe is a problem with thread
>> implementation or system I/O. Is your server build from source or do you
>> use an offical binary? A lot of maybe. As I just thinking about your
>> input.
>
> I think I found now the right mysql-server settings,  with which
> the performance is quite Ok. Increasing the sort_buffer_size was one
> of the changes that helped.
>
> skip-external-locking
> skip-thread-priority
> key_buffer = 64M
> max_connections = 1024
> max_connect_errors = 1000
> max_allowed_packet = 8M
> table_cache = 512
> sort_buffer_size = 8M
> read_buffer_size = 1M
> read_rnd_buffer_size = 2M
> myisam_sort_buffer_size = 64M
> thread_cache_size = 50
> query_cache_size = 128M
> tmp_table_size= 1024M
> thread_concurrency = 12
> wait_timeout = 60
> interactive_timeout = 60
> log_slow_queries
>
> Thanks Duck for your help!!!

Maybe this could be added to the wiki? Not standalone, but as a part
of a "HighPerfomanceSetup" page that also lists other parts of high
performance architectures. Stuff that goes beyond docs/PERFORMANCE
because it's only interesting for systems with a high load and a lot
of users.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/