[dev] shares performance hit (was Re: disable shares)

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 17 18:43:35 UTC 2008

Quoting "Jan Schneider" <jan at horde.org>:

>> I think I found now the right mysql-server settings,  with which
>> the performance is quite Ok. Increasing the sort_buffer_size was one
>> of the changes that helped.

[...]

> Maybe this could be added to the wiki? Not standalone, but as a part
> of a "HighPerfomanceSetup" page that also lists other parts of high
> performance architectures. Stuff that goes beyond docs/PERFORMANCE
> because it's only interesting for systems with a high load and a lot
> of users.

I'd add it right to PERFORMANCE.  If you look, you'll see it is already
in PERFORMANCE for PostgreSQL, so why not add it for MySQL also?

I think while it may only be _needed/required_ for huge sites, almost
all sites (even smallish ones) will see a performance benefit to increasing
the sort buffers...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics