[dev] [imp] DIMP not showing most headers

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sun Jun 22 22:27:17 UTC 2008

I've seen that you restored BC already, but I still want to reply:

>> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> DIMP 1.x (and MIMP 1.1x) are always going to require the most
>>> up-to-date versions of IMP - otherwise, there would be no way we
>>> could fix bugs in DIMP/MIMP.  Therefore, you need to update IMP to
>>> the latest version in the FW_3 branch.  I added something to DIMP's
>>> INSTALL to say this, but I guess I never committed it.
>>
>> Uh, when did we decide this? This breaks with any release policy we
>> ever had. As long as DIMP and IMP are separate applications we have
>> to keep BC in the stable branch.
>
> We might as well copy all of imp/lib into DIMP or MIMP right now
> then.  Or do no bugfixing in DIMP and MIMP and be happy with the
> versions now released and get on with further development in HEAD.
> Because it is *impossible* to fix bugs in IMP without affecting MIMP
> or DIMP.  We previously decided that dimp and mimp are not separate
> applications.  They are add-ons to imp.  They appear in separate
> directories/CVS modules simply because of historical reasons.  But
> we can't treat them like separate applications because they *aren't*
> separate applications.  I was never working under the impression
> that once IMP 4.2 was released that the API was frozen between these
> applications.

This is not quite true. They are separate applications and have always
been communicated as such. They require IMP to run, but any it's not
different from any Horde application requiring the Horde Framework to
run.

> The new search code in IMP is thus unable to be used with DIMP.  No
> spellcheck fixes (which require changes in the UI part of things)
> can be done.  Various MIME escaping/encoding fixes - which there
> have been a bunch lately - are not BC between 4.2 and 4.2.1.  If
> this is unacceptable, then we should release as DIMP 1.1 instead.

We've managed to keep BC for Horde 3 applications for 3 1/2 years now,
and I don't see why this shouldn't be possible for IMP/DIMP/MIMP.
Sure, you won't get all fixes if you don't upgrade IMP, and sure, it's
harder to code with keeping BC, but we should not give up one of the
leading ideas of our development/release process.
We've dealt with such issues all over the applications' code, see all
the TODO entries mentioning BC or if-clauses checking for availability
of certain methods or features.
If this really isn't possible then we should have never released
DIMP/MIMP as separate applications.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/