[dev] Commit digest

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Aug 22 12:31:45 UTC 2008

Zitat von duck <duck at obala.net>:

> On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 22:54 -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
>> Quoting duck <duck at obala.net>:
>>
>> > We have a lot of modules and commits that are tracked only if they where
>> > a ticked request or something that finished in module change log. And
>> > again this is something too much developer closed overview. What about
>> > to start publishing a weekly overview on Planet Horde of the development
>> > activity like KDE's commit digests with just a short list of what
>> > significant changed in last week. For example tickets solved with links
>> > to tickets, new features that should be exposed like allow embedding of
>> > Kronolith's calendar blocks in external websites etc.
>>
>> Do you see this as something compiled by hand (by a human), or
>> generated automatically? I agree with Jan that an automatic one would
>> be a lot of noise, and while I can certainly see the value of a weekly
>> summary written by a human, it's a non-trivial commitment to do it.
>
> Of course would be nicer to see something wrote by human with
> explanation of some changes. But as we are all always out of time, I
> guess that a cron job would be a good start. In the automatic process we
> could add:
>
>       * a list and links to all closed tickets

Agreed, as long as we limit this to "Resolved" tickets, i.e. no
Reject, Not A Bug, Duplicate, etc.

>       * links to tickets that has some new related commits (to show that
>         we are actually working on them)

I'm not sure about that. People interested in certain tickets can
already watch or subscribe to them, and we track commits for tickets.
Tickets being worked on are probably not near as interesting as closed
tickets.

>       * a combined change log updates

Do you mean diffs for CHANGES files? Good idea.

>       * maybe wiki (documentation) pages that were updated

Interesting, but probably again too noisy to be really useful.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/