[dev] small horde app for downloading files

Ben Klang ben at alkaloid.net
Fri Aug 22 19:17:10 UTC 2008

On Aug 22, 2008, at 1:42 PM, Eric Jon Rostetter wrote:

> Quoting Andre Pawlowski <sqall at h4des.org>:
>
>> I've written a small Horde app for downloading stuff from a
>> directory of the server which you can configure with the horde
>> administration menu. I want to ask if the horde project is
>> interested in this app. I
>
> Does it do anything else besides allow downloading of files?
>
>> know it looks like a duplicate of the gollem app but in my opinion
>> this app was to powerful for a simple use such as downloading
>> files from a directory on the server.
>
> I could use a download application that allowed some flexible options.
> Things like:
>
> 1) Allow some files to guests, others only to logged in users
> (permissions)
> 2) Allow some files only after accepting some agreement, or
> "certifying"
>    something via a checkbox (e.g., over 18, etc).
> 3) Logging of the downloads (who, when, success/failure, size, etc).
>
> The above would meet my needs.  Other things might be alternative
> download methods (ftp, http, webdav, samba, etc), ability to add
> additional info or links for a file (link to help file or README
> file),
> and other such things...

You might also want to take a look at a mini-project I started in the
incubator named "Butler."  The original requirement was to require
users to fill out a simple form for demographics purposes and then to
email them a secure link (secure in the sense that the link itself
cannot be forwarded to other people to avoid the survey) to allow
downloading.  Right now it does not support pulling files from VFS,
though obviously it would be ideal to extend it to doing that.
Instead of a survey it should be pretty trivial to make the
application show a EULA or similar.  Logging and reporting are
possible based on the data collected, though no reporting has yet
been created.

In an ideal world I'd love for the Gollem UI to show a button that
says "Make this file publicly downloadable" or something, but the
application is nowhere near that point.

/BAK/