[dev] small horde app for downloading files

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 22 17:42:34 UTC 2008

Quoting Andre Pawlowski <sqall at h4des.org>:

> I've written a small Horde app for downloading stuff from a
> directory of the server which you can configure with the horde
> administration menu. I want to ask if the horde project is
> interested in this app. I

Does it do anything else besides allow downloading of files?

> know it looks like a duplicate of the gollem app but in my opinion
> this app was to powerful for a simple use such as downloading files
> from a directory on the server.

I could use a download application that allowed some flexible options.
Things like:

1) Allow some files to guests, others only to logged in users (permissions)
2) Allow some files only after accepting some agreement, or "certifying"
    something via a checkbox (e.g., over 18, etc).
3) Logging of the downloads (who, when, success/failure, size, etc).

The above would meet my needs.  Other things might be alternative
download methods (ftp, http, webdav, samba, etc), ability to add
additional info or links for a file (link to help file or README file),
and other such things...

Would anyone have any interest in any of the above?  I think it would be
distinct enough from gollem to be worthy of being its own project...  But
I'm not sure if there is any real interest in it outside of just a few
people...

Also, while different from gollem, how much overlap would there be with
other content control/managament systems in the incubator, if any?

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.