[dev] Exciting find

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Sep 17 19:47:17 UTC 2008

>> Tramping through the IMAP RFCs (there are many), this looks very promising:
>> http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=4551 (CONDRESTORE)
>> http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=5162 (QRESYNC)
>>
>> Quick synopsis: an easy way to determine if our local cache needs
>> updating.  Dovecot, as of 1.2, supports these extensions.
>>
>> Another nice extension - LIST-EXTENDED:
>> http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=5258
>>
>> This one allows us to get (at a minimum) a listing of unseen
>> messages in all folders with a single command rather than multiple
>> STATUS commands.  Some major IMAP servers already support this
>> (Dovecot 1.1 does).
>
> Very cool. Looking forward to seeing this in the Imap_Client
> implementation. :)

Obviously, the first goal is to get the Imap_Client implementation up
to a place where it supports the basic IMAP4rev1 (RFC 3501)
functionality (with selected "necessary" extensions such as SORT,
THREAD, NAMESPACE).  In other words, to a place where we can
completely replace the current imap_* functions.  Then in the future
we can worry about slowly bringing in these latest, greatest extensions.

A quick update on my progress: today I am cleaning up the error
handling/exceptions.  All RFC 3501 commands are implemented except for
FETCH (granted, that command is by far the most complicated).  I'd
also like to move the ACL commands into the library so we can get rid
of the separate ACL library.  Finally, I'm going to move the sorting
functions into the IMAP library because they are generally useful for
several of the folder commands.

Once this is done and I have tested for a bit, I'm going to slowly
replace (function by function) the current imap_* calls in IMP.  One
note: this is going to break POP3 in HEAD since there will be no
corresponding driver once in Horde_Imap_Client that supports POP3 (do
we want to continue supporting POP 3 in IMP 5?  Or else someone will
have to write a POP3 driver for Horde_Imap_Client although this really
isn't high on my priority list).

michael