[dev] Not all mail being seen in Inbox w/dovecot

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Sat Nov 15 03:01:06 UTC 2008

I've been having a problem in IMP for some time now, and hope that
someone can help me figure out what's wrong (or point me in the right
direction). I run from CVS, so assumed it was a server
misconfiguration. But I recently built a new server from scratch
(didn't even copy my horde configuration files or database over; I
started completely from scratch), and am seeing the same behavior.
Nobody else is seeing it, so it *has* to be something I'm doing wrong,
but I don't know where to look.

For a while I was having a problem that, if I read messages in Inbox
and a new message came in (I have it configured to go to the next
message when deleting one, instead of returning to the message list),
I'd get "There are no messages in this mailbox". By clicking the
"Inbox" again in the sidebar, the message list would reload with the
new messages displayed. I asked about it a while ago, but I didn't get
any feedback on the list, so filed a bug report (#5552) and it was
suggested that my cache files were out of date.

On the new server, I don't have any caching enabled (APC is installed
and enabled in PHP, but in the horde configuration under "Cache
System" I have "Don't cache any objects". I have tried disabling APC,
but it didn't make any difference). I've also noticed that the
messages that aren't being displayed didn't necessarily arrive while I
was reading messages; most times, they arrived the day before.

I also see this behavior after I first log in. It's set to go to the
portal, and when there are new messages in Inbox, I go to read them.
Inevitably, there are messages I don't want to read (spam or
newsletters with uninteresting headlines), so I click the check box
next to them and click the delete link. When the message list reloads,
I get the "There are no messages in this mailbox" message. I'll click
"Inbox" and the message list will reload, this time with a new message
that arrived the previous day or earlier that day, but hadn't been
previously displayed in the list. This happens whether I sort by
received date or by message number.

There have been other times that I've had no indication that there
were new messages in Inbox, so went to the Virtual Inbox (where no new
messages were displayed for Inbox). While looking at that message
list, the sidebar will refresh and show new messages in Inbox. In the
most recent incident, 6 new messages appeared that had been received
over the course of the previous 12 hours, but weren't shown when I
logged in either in the sidebar or in the Virtual Inbox.

It's as if IMP isn't checking Inbox every time it refreshes (or on
login), except that it shows some (most) new messages but not all. But
it doesn't happen every time; it happens frequently, but not every time.

I thought it might be a problem with my dovecot configuration, but I
tried thunderbird for a while and never had a problem with it. I
prefer IMP as my primary mail client (especially now that I have a
beefier server so it runs faster).

Can anyone offer any suggestions for where I can look to track down
this problem? Any help would be *greatly* appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Rick

P.S. On a different note, I saw a lot of commits on the CVS mailing
list for a new IMAP client library...is that work stable, or should I
hold off updating my CVS install?