[dev] [commits] Horde-Support branch master updated. 438b8792a8c8e06649ba230b6a37a025bda827a0

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Feb 4 00:55:20 UTC 2009

> Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>>> How about using the changed file names in the subject like we do
>>> with CVS messages? I find this very handy when searching for commits
>>> in the mailing list archive.
>>
>> This is THE number one thing that I miss about using CVS.  I would be
>> very much in favor of something like this.
>
> Disagree here.  With the ability to have multiple commits, having
> file names in the subject is not useful IMHO.  Mailman truncates
> long subjects anyway.
>
> Git/chora is going to make it much easier to search for commit
> information - especially since patchsets are natively supported.
> IMHO, this will be the preferred way to search commits in the future
> (which is a big improvement over mailing list trolling).

For me, it's not so much trolling the mailing list, the issue is more
about scanning my mailbox looking for commit messages of interest. I
think that at least having the top level (imp/kronolith etc...)
directories of files that were touched in a commit would go a long
way...and it's definitely more useful information IMO than an
unfriendly hash id. It also leads to more friendly thread titles if a
commit is followed up by discussion. Much easier to spot a response to
one of your commits if it's a human friendly subject as opposed to a
commit id.

Thanks,
mike

--