[dev] Gettext strings in framework packages

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat Jul 11 02:58:02 UTC 2009

> What is the strategy for gettext strings in framework packages.
> AFAICT, these are our options:
>
> 1.) Keep current strategy (when building gettext strings for horde,
> incorporates all framework packages). This has the major drawback of
> not allowing true upgrades of framework packages, since a horde
> upgrade would be needed instead.
> 2.) Like #1, but keep all framework gettext strings in its own
> package (Framework_GettextStrings or something similar).
> 3.) Keep gettext strings for each framework package inside each package.
> 4.) No gettext strings in framework at all.  This is the PEAR-ish
> way of doing things.  Instead of returning/using gettext strings,
> you pass back a placeholder (i.e. a constant) and it is the apps job
> to do the gettext string generation.

I think getting away from gettext in framework libs is the way to go.
It's a not insignificant dependency, and hardcoding it limits our
ability to support other options (we can stub in the functions, but
for framework packages that's not so useful since the stub becomes a
dependency for every library).

-chuck