[dev] Gettext strings in framework packages

Gunnar Wrobel p at rdus.de
Sun Jul 12 08:21:22 UTC 2009

>> What is the strategy for gettext strings in framework packages.
>> AFAICT, these are our options:
>>
>> 1.) Keep current strategy (when building gettext strings for horde,
>> incorporates all framework packages). This has the major drawback
>> of not allowing true upgrades of framework packages, since a horde
>> upgrade would be needed instead.
>> 2.) Like #1, but keep all framework gettext strings in its own
>> package (Framework_GettextStrings or something similar).
>> 3.) Keep gettext strings for each framework package inside each package.
>> 4.) No gettext strings in framework at all.  This is the PEAR-ish
>> way of doing things.  Instead of returning/using gettext strings,
>> you pass back a placeholder (i.e. a constant) and it is the apps
>> job to do the gettext string generation.
>
> I think getting away from gettext in framework libs is the way to
> go. It's a not insignificant dependency, and hardcoding it limits
> our ability to support other options (we can stub in the functions,
> but for framework packages that's not so useful since the stub
> becomes a dependency for every library).

I agree in general but I see a few packages where it will be hard to
remove all use of gettext. One of mine would be Kolab_Filter which is
a PEAR package but it is also an application. The Mime viewers look
like they need gettext, too.

For those packages I think 3) would be the right option.

Cheers,

Gunnar