[dev] Removing configFilesMissing() tests.

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Jul 30 21:17:02 UTC 2009

> What are people's opinions on removing the
> Horde_Test::configFilesMissing() tests present in some index.php
> files?  To me:
> 1.) Seems like overkill; these tests are already done in test.php.
> I don't think we are asking too much for admins to read INSTALL
> and/or access test.php, both of which describe the necessary files.

They have been a nice way to tell the admins exactly that. Because
they did *not* do it.

> 2.) These tests could potentially be run multiple times in a single session.
> 3.) It is easier to simply throw a fatal exception in the location
> where the files need to be included.

Sounds like a good solution as it would serve the same purpose.

> 4.) Most important, these tests are only run if index.php is
> accessed.  There is a good chance applications will be accessed
> through a different URL, so there will never be checking in those
> instances (another reason why approach #3 is better)

True, that already bugged me in the past a few times.

> 5.) If we are going to ship with pre-set default configs in the
> future, this no longer becomes necessary anyway.

Which is still to be discussed to an end, and I'm still against it. ;-)

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/