[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. 475fc7fc0cf3e3ddad08ffea5dd3aa28b16334f4

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Aug 4 21:17:28 UTC 2009

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>> commit 37f3cc6f7cfc8f4fbb95e26e2c3d70b7a83553ec
>> Author: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at curecanti.org>
>> Date:   Tue Aug 4 13:28:03 2009 -0600
>>
>>    Rework some wording in prefs.php.
>>
>>    Configure instead of customize.
>>    Fix description of event requests
>>
>> imp/config/prefs.php.dist |   14 +++++++-------
>> 1 files changed, 7 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)
>>
>> http://git.horde.org/diff.php/imp/config/prefs.php.dist?rt=horde-hatchery&r1=8d309e330a08b9259ac1308657dd550dd2baa965&r2=37f3cc6f7cfc8f4fbb95e26e2c3d70b7a83553ec
>
> I'm not sure how those group descriptions sound to a native speaker,
> but turning them into a German translation is awful most of the
> time. I don't mean this commit, but the descriptions in general. I'm
> not sure what I'd rather want to have there, but I'd like to rework
> the wording completely. Suggestions are welcome.

My main issue is with the word customize.  A user is not "customizing"
these preferences; customize implies that a user can change the
settings to whatever they want.  "Configure" is a better term; it
implies that the user can make changes to the extent allowed by the
program.  It is possible that this is an English-specific thing, but
"customize" really doesn't fit those pref groups.

See, e.g.,
http://www.successfactors.com/blogs/workforce-performance/configuration-vs-customization/

michael