[dev] API Interface Rewrite

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Aug 6 03:26:36 UTC 2009

>>> Also, the $services and $types arrays should go away in favor of
>>> well-documented and marked up PHP classes.
>>
>> Since I was never really sure what these were for, this makes
>> complete sense.  So API caching at logon will consist of loading an
>> API file (if there is one), scanning for the list of public
>> functions, and storing that data.  API documentation will be
>> created solely from phpdoc comments.  This is a worthy goal in and
>> of itself.
>
> We still need the types because those are necessary for translating
> complex PHP types to SOAP structs.
> But the service description should be build via Reflection. We might
> have to add our own phpdoc tag for the type that we translate
> to/from, is this supported by the Reflection API?

I think this code already exists in the base Horde_Reflection class.

But as far as the $types information - I can't find a single place in
the code that uses it (doing a grep on Horde_Registry::listTypes() and
Horde_Registry::getSignature() turn up absolutely nowhere in our code
that we use it).

The code in the newapi branches works fine, albeit without any of this
$types information.  But if the $types information is not being used
anywhere, I'm inclined to merge the changes to master and we can deal
with re-adding $types info later.

michael