[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. 32b8d7d18cb8987b1235005df6567d4d37e87950

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Aug 17 18:22:31 UTC 2009

>>> My suggestion is more along the lines of: for each system task
>>> that needs to happen once per user, store the revision number of
>>> the system tasks in their preferences (instead of storing class
>>> names). So we start at revision 1. Each change gets a new revision
>>> number (changes made together get the same revision number). We
>>> update prefs.php.dist so that the default value is always current
>>> (or we could have a special call that returns the current level).
>>>
>>> Then on login, we get the user's current level, see if there are
>>> any tasks after that, and run them.
>>
>> This seems like it is adding too much complexity in the logintasks.
>>  Additionally, this requires us to load/parse the SystemTask every
>> time a user logs in.  The present method doesn't require this.
>>
>> I still think that a command-line script is the preferred solution
>> (it is written and currently lives in
>> horde-support/maintainer-tools).  Upgrades are not all that common,
>> and not that many people are running dev code, so this seems more
>> appropriate.  And on the plus side: upgrading still becomes much
>> easier because of having to find/run the appropriate script, we
>> only need to do:
>>
>>  cd [hordebase]
>>  php horde-run-task.php -a [app] -t [taskname] -u [username]
>>
>> anytime an upgrade is announced.
>
> I don't think upgrades are as uncommon as you think, if you take all
> applications into account. And maybe more people would run dev code
> (and get into helping development) if we made it easier. Keeping
> accounts/prefs/data up to date is one way to do this.

I still personally think that the whole 'incremental' counting is much
kludgier than running command line scripts.  And again - it adds a
whole bunch of overhead to every user's login whether they use
developmental code or not.  I am not a big fan of requiring 99.9% of
users to run code that will *never* be needed just for the .1% of
users that may need it.

> A command line script just feels kludgy to me. A general solution
> that works for developers and end users regardless seems much more
> elegant to me and worth it in the long run.

But we've been doing things command-line for years.  LoginTasks were
not designed to fully replace upgrade tasks.

michael