[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. d3fcd5cdd11ada51d44c03fccd529ba9beed543d

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Dec 28 18:20:57 UTC 2009

Zitat von Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>> Zitat von Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:

>>> What about tagging or branching the apps we want to move, adding
>>> horde-hatchery as a remote to horde, and merging the branch in?
>>> That should pull everything for those apps into the main repo.
>>>
>>> If we want to revisit having multiple repos, I'm also open to that
>>> at this point. Git seems to scale just fine; honestly at this
>>> point I would probably lean towards having one repo for apps, one
>>> for the base package (whatever that ends up looking like), and one
>>> for the framework - plus the supporting ones like hordeweb.
>>
>> That distinction doesn't make more sense to me than the distinction
>> we currently have. I'm teared because I agree that a single repo
>> for all apps  would work as well as the current solution with two
>> repos. But checking out a single application is a PITA in both cases.
>
> I think it makes sense to have a single repo for the apps and a
> seperate repo for the framework. Though I'd probably vote for
> putting the base package in the same repo with the apps. As far as
> single apps being a PITA, I agree, but for people that really only
> want the bleeding edge source for one or two apps, we have the
> snapshots.

If we go down this route, I agree that having the base horde app with
the other apps makes more sense. A separate repository for all
framework packages on the top level has its merits too, especially if
we want to encourage using them as individual components, separately
from the whole framework.

> Related to another thread we've been discussing, with whatever
> method we choose for combining our repos going forward, we have to
> consider how to handle existing framework packages that are
> currently being rewritten for H4 and are not complete enough for
> use.  For people like me that are using case insensitive file
> systems, this is causing conflicts. For example, the H3 package of
> VFS was imported into hatchery, but it conflicts with the H4
> Horde_Vfs package that was already there. This causes issues with
> Git due to the differing case and (to a lesser extent) untracked
> files polluting the Vfs directory. This will also cause conflits
> when a package.xml file is added for the H4 package. In the short
> term, we could export the H4 packages into horde-git and keep the H3
> packages in hatchery, but this really doesn't feel right either
> since Vfs (and iCalendar, and probably a few others) are not really
> ready for use.

Only the ones that have conflicting names are really an issue. For Vfs
I already proposed a solution. For others we could add the H4 code
into a branch ("h4-refactoring" or some such) and keep the H3 versions
in master for the time being.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/