[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. d3fcd5cdd11ada51d44c03fccd529ba9beed543d

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Dec 29 02:47:52 UTC 2009

> Zitat von Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>>> That distinction doesn't make more sense to me than the
>>> distinction we currently have. I'm teared because I agree that a
>>> single repo for all apps  would work as well as the current
>>> solution with two repos. But checking out a single application is
>>> a PITA in both cases.
>>
>> I think it makes sense to have a single repo for the apps and a
>> seperate repo for the framework. Though I'd probably vote for
>> putting the base package in the same repo with the apps. As far as
>> single apps being a PITA, I agree, but for people that really only
>> want the bleeding edge source for one or two apps, we have the
>> snapshots.
>
> If we go down this route, I agree that having the base horde app
> with the other apps makes more sense. A separate repository for all
> framework packages on the top level has its merits too, especially
> if we want to encourage using them as individual components,
> separately from the whole framework.

This is sounding good to me.

>> Related to another thread we've been discussing, with whatever
>> method we choose for combining our repos going forward, we have to
>> consider how to handle existing framework packages that are
>> currently being rewritten for H4 and are not complete enough for
>> use.  For people like me that are using case insensitive file
>> systems, this is causing conflicts. For example, the H3 package of
>> VFS was imported into hatchery, but it conflicts with the H4
>> Horde_Vfs package that was already there. This causes issues with
>> Git due to the differing case and (to a lesser extent) untracked
>> files polluting the Vfs directory. This will also cause conflits
>> when a package.xml file is added for the H4 package. In the short
>> term, we could export the H4 packages into horde-git and keep the
>> H3 packages in hatchery, but this really doesn't feel right either
>> since Vfs (and iCalendar, and probably a few others) are not really
>> ready for use.
>
> Only the ones that have conflicting names are really an issue. For
> Vfs I already proposed a solution. For others we could add the H4
> code into a branch ("h4-refactoring" or some such) and keep the H3
> versions in master for the time being.

I'm not really in position to be doing a ton here, but for branches,
at least the Vfs stuff I started I'd like to be in a separate branch,
not in a generic h4-refactoring one. I think in general it'll make for
easier merging if we use separate branches for each library refactor
also. That way we can merge eacn individual branch/library when
they're ready.

-chuck