[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. d3fcd5cdd11ada51d44c03fccd529ba9beed543d

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Jan 13 18:40:30 UTC 2010

Quoting Ben Klang <ben at alkaloid.net>:

> On Jan 13, 2010, at 12:33 PM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>
>> If you mean the fact that there would not be a default index.php at
>> the base of the webroot, e.g.
>> http://www.example.com/index.php(since horde would be installed in
>> http://www.example.com/horde/), I think this is completely
>> irrelevant.  It is my strongly held belief that there is no reason
>> why we should make the git repo a "drop-in" installation of horde.
>> If someone does wants to run using the git repo (realistically,
>> this will be a handful of people - and those people will mostly be
>> horde devs), they either have to accept that the apps won't live
>> underneath horde or they will have to manually symlink the
>> directories.  Again, not a big deal.
>

> I disagree with this statement.  While I don't necessarily feel that
> a git clone should work 100% out-of-the-box, it should be close.  By
> making the repository close to a workable Horde install we encourage
> casual developers and minimize our own work on new installs.

I'm not sure I see how keeping horde a sibling to the application
directories solves any installation issues for casual devs that the
install_dev script also doesn't solve. In fact, I think it might cause
other issues, especially if they are used to running out of a /horde
directory.

  Right
> now there is a fairly high barrier to begin working on Horde, even
> for someone like me who is intimately familiar with the process.

I think the combining of the git repos, the installation script, along
with some other code-related stuff (like Chuck's db migrations
scripts) have made things somewhat easier. I think that no matter what
we do, a dev is going to need to do some tweaking to his environment
that wouldn't be needed by a consumer of an packaged install. I think
adding registry entries for content and timeobjects would also ease
the burden as well.

> can only imagine what it would be like for someone who may want to
> fix a bug but has only ever installed Horde from the tarballs.

They could provide a patch directly from their installation, or if the
code base isn't current enough, use a snapshot...unless I'm missing
the point you are making here?

Thanks,
mike

--