[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. d3fcd5cdd11ada51d44c03fccd529ba9beed543d

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Jan 13 23:12:12 UTC 2010

Zitat von Ben Klang <ben at alkaloid.net>:

> On Jan 13, 2010, at 12:33 PM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>
>> If you mean the fact that there would not be a default index.php at
>> the base of the webroot, e.g.
>> http://www.example.com/index.php(since horde would be installed in
>> http://www.example.com/horde/), I think this is completely
>> irrelevant.  It is my strongly held belief that there is no reason
>> why we should make the git repo a "drop-in" installation of horde.
>> If someone does wants to run using the git repo (realistically,
>> this will be a handful of people - and those people will mostly be
>> horde devs), they either have to accept that the apps won't live
>> underneath horde or they will have to manually symlink the
>> directories.  Again, not a big deal.
>

> I disagree with this statement.  While I don't necessarily feel that
> a git clone should work 100% out-of-the-box, it should be close.  By
> making the repository close to a workable Horde install we encourage
> casual developers and minimize our own work on new installs.  Right
> now there is a fairly high barrier to begin working on Horde, even
> for someone like me who is intimately familiar with the process.  I
> can only imagine what it would be like for someone who may want to
> fix a bug but has only ever installed Horde from the tarballs.
>
> That being said, there are naturally some concessions that we will
> need to make to the development and packaging processes that will
> conflict with Horde working fresh from a git checkout.  But in my
> opinion, the closer we can align those needs, the better.

I absolutely agree. It should be as easy as possible (and require as
few steps as possible) to install horde, whether as a groupware, from
individual tarballs, through pear, or through git.
If there are concessions we can't work around, fine. But if it's
possible to make it easier for admins but also devs, even better.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/