[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. d3fcd5cdd11ada51d44c03fccd529ba9beed543d

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Jan 24 01:57:02 UTC 2010

>> I absolutely do NOT want to cater to the tiny fraction of people
>> that may download imp (for example), extract it in a web-accessible
>> directory, point their browser at that directory, and then get
>> errors that various horde core libraries/paths can not be found.
>> If these people can not take the 5 seconds to read INSTALL, they
>> don't deserve to run the software.  Period.  We (as devs) have much
>> better things to focus on.
>
> Who was saying that? This never worked in any version, and we of
> course we can't help people that don't read installation instructions.

I am tremendously sympathetic to this point of view. But the simple
fact is that not having at LEAST a friendly "you need to finish your
installation, here's how" screen hurts us by turning away people who
are in a hurry, trying a bunch of solutions, etc. And that impacts the
user community size and thus the developer community size.

> But that's not what the index.php is about. I brought this up
> because in the last message before I re-started the thread, Chuck
> suggested as a solution for the bundles, and if having horde next to
> the apps, to include everything in another base directory. This is
> where the index.php is required. But also if people install the
> modules individually. Because they want their users to go to
> http://webmail.example.com/, not http://webmail.example.com/horde/.
> And this is btw another disadvantage of having horde next to the
> apps: I'm sure some admins will complain that "horde" now always
> shows up in the url.

I don't see why we couldn't generate a proper index.php to include in
bundles, or generate tarball installations with whatever glue and
whatever structure we needed. In the version control system, I think
it's pretty hard to argue that the apps should be in the same
directory as the main horde/ dir.

-chuck