[dev] [commits] Horde-Hatchery branch master updated. d3fcd5cdd11ada51d44c03fccd529ba9beed543d

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sun Jan 24 10:08:57 UTC 2010

>>> I absolutely do NOT want to cater to the tiny fraction of people
>>> that may download imp (for example), extract it in a
>>> web-accessible directory, point their browser at that directory,
>>> and then get errors that various horde core libraries/paths can
>>> not be found.  If these people can not take the 5 seconds to read
>>> INSTALL, they don't deserve to run the software.  Period.  We (as
>>> devs) have much better things to focus on.
>>
>> Who was saying that? This never worked in any version, and we of
>> course we can't help people that don't read installation
>> instructions.
>
> I am tremendously sympathetic to this point of view. But the simple
> fact is that not having at LEAST a friendly "you need to finish your
> installation, here's how" screen hurts us by turning away people who
> are in a hurry, trying a bunch of solutions, etc. And that impacts
> the user community size and thus the developer community size.
>
>> But that's not what the index.php is about. I brought this up
>> because in the last message before I re-started the thread, Chuck
>> suggested as a solution for the bundles, and if having horde next
>> to the apps, to include everything in another base directory. This
>> is where the index.php is required. But also if people install the
>> modules individually. Because they want their users to go to
>> http://webmail.example.com/, not http://webmail.example.com/horde/.
>> And this is btw another disadvantage of having horde next to the
>> apps: I'm sure some admins will complain that "horde" now always
>> shows up in the url.
>
> I don't see why we couldn't generate a proper index.php to include
> in bundles, or generate tarball installations with whatever glue and
> whatever structure we needed. In the version control system, I think
> it's pretty hard to argue that the apps should be in the same
> directory as the main horde/ dir.

Let's simply keep the VCS structure completely out of the discussion.
I think everyone is fine about how we organize it out, and it only
complicates the discussion.

Let's only talk about how we expect Horde to be installed in the
future. And it shouldn't matter whether it's being installed through
individual tarballs, PEAR, or groupware bundles.
The longer we talk about it and the more complications arise and the
more loops we seem to have to jump through to make horde/ work *next*
to the application directories, the less I think it's worth it.

Recapping the pros and cons of both solutions, this is what I think
about them:

Live in separate dirs
---------------------
+ The way our repo is stored => doesn't matter
+ Maximum flexibility for admins => that they never will use
- Extra config needed to determine paths (can this be automated by
installer?) => not true
+ Simplify some maintenance/building scripts => that already work fine
with the current structure
+ Better compatibility with distribution packages => distributions
will always do their own stuff anyway, no matter what we do

So, if we were about to vote, I'd say: let's leave it like it is
today, it worked in the past and the reasons for changing the layout
are rather weak IMO.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/