[dev] Significant changes

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat Feb 27 06:28:15 UTC 2010

> I have a request from a long-time client who already sponsored a
> bunch of features in Horde in the past. They request the feasibility
> of a bunch of changes for Horde 4 applications to help them decide
> if they can keep using Horde in the future. Since some of the
> changes are somewhat massive, I'd like to discuss them here to hear
> your opinions about those, whether they make sense to you, whether
> they conflict with other expectations, etc. I added my own opinions
> below where applicable.

Cool. Weighing in on things I strongly agree/disagree with...

> General
> -------
>
> - Add possibility to add custom help pages, or link to custom help system.
>
> Jan: IIRC we already discussed this in the past, especially whether
> to move online help to the wiki, and I don't see any problems with
> that (the custom link, not the wiki help) if implemented cleanly.

Yeah, a better help system including customizations would be very nice.

> - Layout theming without changing PHP scripts.
>
> Jan: Well, we can always dream :) We all know how limited this is,
> even with our recent CSS-only designs.

Yeah. We'll keep working towards it for our own sake as much as
anything, but...

> - No success notifications (if disabled in prefs) unless the result
> of the current action is not immediately clear to the user.
>
> Jan: This shouldn't be hard to implement, though it doesn't make any
> sense to me. Notifications are not very obtrusive and are a
> usability bonus IMO.

Seems very subjective, and dependent on the meaning of "immediately
clear". On a more ajax-like application you assume state is saved
often without an explicit button; then a notification is unexpected
since you didn't take an explicit action. But I'm breaking my strong
agree/disagree rule on this one - I don't really care either way.

> DIMP
> ----
>
> - Add top menu bar that duplicates context menu functionality for
> folder and message management and takes the prefs and the custom
> entries.
>
> Jan: We already have this for messages, and adding this only for
> folder actions is waste of screen estate. I don't like duplication
> either. OTOH this better resembles a desktop client. It could also
> replace the somehow awkward top tab bar.

I'm with Michael S. here on duplicating desktop look not being a good idea.

> - Moving/copying messages by (context?) menu too.

Not sure the use case here - how is this more usable? And how does it
jive with other requests to duplicate things outside of context menus?

> - Setting default behavior of reply button
>
> Jan: I think the current smart behavior is a huge improvement over
> that. I'm not sure if they have this in their version already, or if
> they noticed at all.

I *love* the smart reply functionality, fwiw. Also in Safari right now
the others don't work if you're blocking popups, but that's a separate
issue.

> - Only mark messages as seen after opening for a (configurable) time
> period, so that they aren't marked seen if you just navigate through
> the mailbox.
>
> Jan: Yes, please.

The current delay works for me. I agree with Michael S. that having a
2nd request here doesn't make much sense.

> - Customization of help message when no message is selected.

Isn't this the same as the first request?

-chuck