[dev] Growler fade effect

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed May 19 16:31:29 UTC 2010

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> I really don't like the fade effect if hovering over a growler
>>> notification, and it doesn't add anything to the user experience
>>> either.
>>> Can we please remove this again, Michael?
>>
>> It is very useful (I would say essential) for two reasons:
>> 1.) Reading a message in the preview pane - you get to the bottom
>> of the message, and the bottom right corner is entirely unreadable
>> until you either wait for the notification(s) to close
>> automatically (waste of time), click on the individual close
>> buttons (annoying, too much effort), or by simply hovering the
>> mouse over the notification (easiest).
>> 2.) Composing a message is impossible when a notification appears
>> (generally auto-save notification) and you are at the bottom line
>> of the compose window.  Again, it is a very simple/quick fix to
>> simply position cursor over notification, and you are able to see
>> the text again.
>
> It makes more sense now that I see the rationale behind it.
>
> There is still a major problem with this: if you want to do anything
> with the notification, e.g. closing it or clicking an embedded link,
> or using an embedded form, it's next to impossible now to do any of
> this, because you can hardly see any notification elements anymore.
> The reason you mention are valid, but that one is a showstopper.

Possible solutions:
1. Give notifications some transparency at all times.
2. Don't make as transparent over mouseover.

FYI - the single best implementation of popup notifications ever is
Miranda IM's Popup Plus.  See, e.g.:
http://byfai.com/files/images/Miranda%20IM%20-%20Popup%20Plus.png

It uses slight transparency on the notifications and a smaller overall
footprint than our Growler notifications.  However, especially for the
latter, this would be more difficult to implement due to
cross-platform font issues.

mjr: For compose screens, if you have auto-draft set for 1 minute,
notifications will pop up often.

michael