[dev] Growler fade effect

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed May 19 16:42:36 UTC 2010

>> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> It is very useful (I would say essential) for two reasons:
>>> 1.) Reading a message in the preview pane - you get to the bottom
>>> of the message, and the bottom right corner is entirely unreadable
>>> until you either wait for the notification(s) to close
>>> automatically (waste of time), click on the individual close
>>> buttons (annoying, too much effort), or by simply hovering the
>>> mouse over the notification (easiest).
>>> 2.) Composing a message is impossible when a notification appears
>>> (generally auto-save notification) and you are at the bottom line
>>> of the compose window.  Again, it is a very simple/quick fix to
>>> simply position cursor over notification, and you are able to see
>>> the text again.
>>
>> It makes more sense now that I see the rationale behind it.
>>
>> There is still a major problem with this: if you want to do
>> anything with the notification, e.g. closing it or clicking an
>> embedded link, or using an embedded form, it's next to impossible
>> now to do any of this, because you can hardly see any notification
>> elements anymore.
>> The reason you mention are valid, but that one is a showstopper.
>
> Possible solutions:
> 1. Give notifications some transparency at all times.
> 2. Don't make as transparent over mouseover.

How would that help? Either the transparency is too small to read the
text below it, or too high to read the text inside. Beside that, I'm
fine with a slight default transparency.

FWIW, we already have transparency in the SAPO theme for Kronolith,
and it's even worse there, so much that they've turned off
transparency completely (with or without hover).

> FYI - the single best implementation of popup notifications ever is
> Miranda IM's Popup Plus.  See, e.g.:
> http://byfai.com/files/images/Miranda%20IM%20-%20Popup%20Plus.png
>
> It uses slight transparency on the notifications and a smaller
> overall footprint than our Growler notifications.  However,
> especially for the latter, this would be more difficult to implement
> due to cross-platform font issues.
>
> mjr: For compose screens, if you have auto-draft set for 1 minute,
> notifications will pop up often.
>
> michael

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/