[dev] ActiveSync Nokia: Problem with "Umlauts"?

Lukas Gradl horde at ssn.at
Sun Jun 6 15:44:04 UTC 2010

After another testsession with Nokia MailForExchange 3.0 on a Nokia E90
I created a new Testaccount with just one entry in addressbook.

For the first try I created an entry named "Tester Joe" with a phone number.

This entry could be synched to the E90!

So I changed the name "Tester Joe" to "Teßter Joe" (usind a special
variant of the letter "s", which is commonly used in German and called
"sharp s".

After this change the sync failed.

So I made a new address-book in an MS Exchange Server 2003 as well -
using the same name with the sharp s.

I made a wireshark-dump of both sync-attempts (the one with horde and
the one with exchange and discovered the following difference:

Exchange:
=========
<FileAs>
'Te\303\237ter Joe'
</FileAs>
<LastName>
'Te\303\237ter'
</LastName>

Horde:
======
<FileAs>
'Te\337ter Joe'
</FileAs>
<LastName>
'Te\303\237ter'
</LastName>

So the coding of "FileAs" is different on the systems, whereas
"LastName" is ecoded the same way.

Unfortunatly I don't have the knowledge to change the encoding of
"FileAs" to the one used by "LastName" but perhaps someone with a deeper
knowledge can take a look at it...

regards
Lukas

PS: Michael, the one I think of when talking about someone with "deeper
knowledge" is you - but perhaps someone else outthere can help out as well?

--

software security networks