[dev] ActiveSync Nokia: Problem with "Umlauts"?

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun Jun 6 16:05:12 UTC 2010

Quoting Lukas Gradl <horde at ssn.at>:

> After another testsession with Nokia MailForExchange 3.0 on a Nokia
> E90 I created a new Testaccount with just one entry in addressbook.
>
> For the first try I created an entry named "Tester Joe" with a phone number.
>
> This entry could be synched to the E90!
>
> So I changed the name "Tester Joe" to "Teßter Joe" (usind a special
> variant of the letter "s", which is commonly used in German and
> called "sharp s".
>
> After this change the sync failed.
>
> So I made a new address-book in an MS Exchange Server 2003 as well -
> using the same name with the sharp s.
>
> I made a wireshark-dump of both sync-attempts (the one with horde
> and the one with exchange and discovered the following difference:
>
> Exchange:
> =========
> <FileAs>
> 'Te\303\237ter Joe'
> </FileAs>
> <LastName>
> 'Te\303\237ter'
> </LastName>
>

> Horde:
> ======
> <FileAs>
> 'Te\337ter Joe'
> </FileAs>
> <LastName>
> 'Te\303\237ter'
> </LastName>
>

> So the coding of "FileAs" is different on the systems, whereas
> "LastName" is ecoded the same way.
>
> Unfortunatly I don't have the knowledge to change the encoding of
> "FileAs" to the one used by "LastName" but perhaps someone with a
> deeper knowledge can take a look at it...
>
> regards
> Lukas
>
> PS: Michael, the one I think of when talking about someone with
> "deeper knowledge" is you - but perhaps someone else outthere can
> help out as well?

I can't believe I missed that on the traces. Awesome job tracking this
down. The fileas parameter was only being correctly translated to
utf-8 if it was being populated by a certain field in turba, and not
automatically populated based on the different name parts. Anyway,
I've added the missing charset conversion to Turba's code and pushed
the changed up.

The diff can be seen here:

http://git.horde.org/diff.php/turba/lib/Driver.php?rt=horde-git&r1=6ca57c8eb46612a9d8b286af6c8d4962d4062720&r2=335be6897f6175e840cc3460eadcc849a7127918

Again, thanks a bunch for all your work in tracking down this issue -
hopefully this is the solution :)

--
Mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A. Einstein