[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 81614b2ef11c86926e2f94d9eb723e683923e05e

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Jun 9 16:29:32 UTC 2010

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>> I could see us instead, at build time, having an automated script
>> to grab list of all the changes to the various framework libraries
>> needed for a release and showing all changes in a single file.
>
> This is probably more work, because we 1) have to track the library
> versions that we bundled with the last Horde release and collect all
> changes from all releases since then, and 2) changelog descriptions
> often only make sense in their context, so we either end up
> mentioning the library in the library's changelog entries
> (duplication) or have generic changelog entries in horde which don't
> make any sense (loss of context).

For 1) - I think this could be easily accomplished by creating an XML
(or equivalent) file that is stored in a release that contains the
framework packages/versions that are a part of that release.  In any
case, I think this is mandatory anyway - for any application other
than horde, there needs to be a way to tell a user when installing
that package both the framework packages needed to install and the
minimum version of those packages needed for that release.

For applications, I don't know if we want to expend the energy to
determine the exact list of horde framework libraries needed for that
particular application or if we are simply going to require that all
framework libraries are needed for all applications.  But I still
think we need to provide the framework version information within any
given application release to allow an upgrade script to update only
the framework libraries needed to ensure that the application is going
to work.

For 2) - I was picturing a changelog more like this (to provide the
necessary context):

v4.0.1
======

[mms] Horde change blah.