[dev] Setup, Configuration, Options, Preferences

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Aug 25 14:51:08 UTC 2010

What do you think about settling on exactly two of those?

We use "Setup" in the admin menu, but the configuration file is called
conf.php, and in the documentation and support questions we call it
"configuration".
The same is true for "Option", prefs.php and "preferences".
And then there is "settings" which is used for both in docs and
mailing list communication.

This is basically important for the English interface, but we should
try to reduce confusion by only using one term for the global settings
and another for the user settings.

And while we're there, does anybody object if we standardize on a
single config file name for the backend configuration? I'd vote for
backends.php to replace sources.php, servers.php etc.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/