[dev] Setup, Configuration, Options, Preferences

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 25 16:31:53 UTC 2010

> We use "Setup" in the admin menu, but the configuration file is
> called conf.php, and in the documentation and support questions we
> call it "configuration".

Could use "Configure" in the admin menu instead of "Setup" to
simplify it.

> The same is true for "Option", prefs.php and "preferences".
> And then there is "settings" which is used for both in docs and
> mailing list communication.

Should stick with Settings or Preferences probably.  Only problem with
Preferences is that it is rather long...  Most other things I can think
of use Settings, but I kind of like Preferences, so I can go either way.

> This is basically important for the English interface, but we should
> try to reduce confusion by only using one term for the global
> settings and another for the user settings.

Configuration/Configure for global, Preferences or Settings for users...

> And while we're there, does anybody object if we standardize on a
> single config file name for the backend configuration? I'd vote for
> backends.php to replace sources.php, servers.php etc.

Sounds good to me...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.