[dev] Setup, Configuration, Options, Preferences

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Aug 27 01:19:08 UTC 2010

> What do you think about settling on exactly two of those?
>
> We use "Setup" in the admin menu, but the configuration file is
> called conf.php, and in the documentation and support questions we
> call it "configuration".
> The same is true for "Option", prefs.php and "preferences".
> And then there is "settings" which is used for both in docs and
> mailing list communication.
>
> This is basically important for the English interface, but we should
> try to reduce confusion by only using one term for the global
> settings and another for the user settings.

I'd almost vote for settling on just one - Settings. System Settings
and User Settings seems pretty clear to me, and we've talked in the
past about removing the backend distinction - User settings are System
settings that are unlocked for user changes (or vice versa - system
settings are user settings that are locked from users changing them).
Some things would never make sense (or work) to be unlocked, but
otherwise it allows a great deal of flexibility.

If we want a different term I think let's go with Preferences for the
user one, and Configuration for the system one... but I agree
consistency is more important than which exact term, so I'm flexible
here.

> And while we're there, does anybody object if we standardize on a
> single config file name for the backend configuration? I'd vote for
> backends.php to replace sources.php, servers.php etc.

What about database config for these? ;) I'm fine with backends.php though.

-chuck