[dev] Continuous Integration - Hudson / Cruiscontrol

Gunnar Wrobel p at rdus.de
Mon Sep 13 08:04:43 UTC 2010

> Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <p at rdus.de>:
>
>> Over the weekend Chuck and Ben helped me getting the basics for the
>> setup. So far the dependencies I identified were Java (Sun JDK),
>> Ant, PHP, PEAR, and PHP xdebug. As far as I can tell only the last
>> one is currently still missing from the machine. And it might be
>> good to set the default timezone of the server in php.ini as this
>> is currently unset and results in the notorious date/time warning.
>
> I installed xdebug. And date.timezone is set in php.ini - was this
> added recently, or is there a path using a different ini file perhaps?

Thanks! Yes, I'm using a temporary php.ini which is just a bug :)

>> I currently installed Hudson locally in my account. It is available
>> at http://dev.horde.org:8080
>
> Cool!
>
>> I added the jobs for two packages now: "Autoloader" and "Itip".
>> Both are green on my local installation. On dev.horde.org they are
>> currently red because of the xdebug and timezone problems mentioned
>> above. But you should already be able to get a feeling for the way
>> this will look like. Many of the metrics are already being generated.
>>
>> Once the two basic jobs are working I'd start adding more packages/jobs.
>
> So, how can we help? :)

I renamed the Elements framework package to the Components application
now and adapted the build scripts accordingly. In addition I avoid
using a temporary php.ini to set include paths. This allows running
the jobs on dev.horde.org now.

The remaining problem is the amount of available memory on that
machine. The builds frequently fail because of that. So that is
something we should still fix.

Installation of the ci setup should be rather simple:

  - Clone the horde-support repository
  - Run "make install" in horde-support/ci-hudson
  - Run "make start" in horde-support/ci-hudson

Feel free to test this on your local machine and report back if does not work.

There are certainly still a lot of things that can be improved so I'm
happy about any comments.

At the moment I added 7 jobs to the Makefile. Feel free to add
additional packages that have unit tests and should run fine.

What kind of notifications for build failures should we setup?

Cheers,

Gunnar