[dev] Components

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Wed Jan 12 20:57:49 UTC 2011

Zitat von Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:

> [...]
>>
>> With the following commit...
>>
>> Zitat von Gunnar Wrobel <p at rdus.de>:
>>

>>> commit 5e98a19ff7e635c7c32b849f9663b205d09f2efa
>>> Author: Gunnar Wrobel <p at rdus.de>
>>> Date:   Wed Jan 12 12:05:45 2011 +0100
>>>
>>>   Rough component documentation is possible now.
>>>

>> .. you can now use the components package to generate HTML
>> documentation for a single Horde component. Still pretty rough
>> around the edges but you should be able to run it locally like this:
>>
>> php components/bin/horde-components -t components/data/html -O
>> ../tmp framework/Exception
>>
>> This should generate the HTML pages for the "Exception" package
>> into the ../tmp directory.
>>
>> The resulting pages are currently following the Routes draft at
>> http://dev.horde.org/routes/
>>
>> Of course there is still a lot missing and these were the elements
>> I was considering to include in the pages for each component:
>>

>>   - Name
>>   - Summary
>>   - Important bullet points
>> (http://components.symfony-project.org/dependency-injection/)
>>   - Description
>>   - Changelog
>>   - Last Release version
>>   - Released versions + changes
>>   - Dependencies
>>   - Release Feed
>>   - Download link
>>   - Repo link
>>   - Developers (www / mail)
>>   - License
>>   - Documentation
>>   - Installation instructions
>>   - Link to mailing list
>>   - API doc
>>   - Examples
>>   - CI link / stats
>>   - Horde backlink
>>
>> If you have any additional wishes/ideas or some remarks please let me know.
>>
>> In order for these component pages to make sense I think I need
>> actual releases. A good first target might be the "Injector"
>> package which seems to be rather stable to me.
>>
>> I did not think much about how to actually do component releases
>> yet. I assume we could/should switch pear.horde.org to pirum
>> (http://www.pirum-project.org/). This would reduce pear.horde.org
>> to something like http://pear.pirum-project.org - The information
>> that our current PEAR server displays on each package would then be
>> replaced by the component information on
>> http://components.horde.org. Pirum
>> (https://github.com/fabpot/Pirum/blob/master/pirum) is rather lean
>> and I assume we could tweak it in case necessary.
>>
>> Once http://pear.horde.org is ready for releases and contains the
>> first Horde4 component release I would start on
>> http://components.horde.org.
>
> I always thought that Pirum was *too* lean for our purposes, since
> it required manual uploading of packages to the server's file system
> last time I looked. This might have been changed by now, or this
> might no longer be an issue if this is being automated with
> components. I just wanted to raise my original concerns about Pirum.

I admit I'm not aware of the exact requirements we have when it comes
to releasing PEAR packages. The process didn't see much attention with
Horde3. So we want to have uploading via HTTP? Do we really need that?

The process could also be automated with a system similar to what
pearhub.org is providing though the effort for that might be higher.

To be honest I can also live with the current pear.horde.org if we
need some of the features provided by the current installation. It
just seemed to be somewhat neglected.

Cheers,

Gunnar