[dev] Horde release cycle

Gunnar Wrobel p at rdus.de
Thu Feb 10 09:49:55 UTC 2011

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:

>>> The page content seems like the direction that would work for me.
>>>
>>> Question:
>>>
>>> In the page you say you expect major releases about 12-18 months
>>> and you want
>>> to support the current and previous release.
>>>
>>> This would mean with H4 coming in april 2011, H3 will not see end of life
>>> before april 2012, right?
>>
>> Yup, that's what we'd be committing to if we adopted that policy.
>
> Coming in VERY late to this conversation, but wanted to add just a
> bit of input based on things/code I maintain (e.g. IMP)...
>
> I am *very* concerned about BC issues.  BC issues essentially
> stalled development on IMP 4 for the last 3-4 years.  Some of this
> has to do with the fact that a bunch of IMP was abstracted out and
> moved to the framework Horde in the interests of reusable code.  I
> can now say, in hindsight, that this was one of the worst design
> decisions I ever made.  The MIME code was not stable enough for this
> to happen when it did, our rendering code was tied up in
> framework/Horde, and it became near impossible to make UI changes to
> incorporate new features that were not expected before.
>
> Truthfully, the moral of the story is/was that I should have
> self-contained all the necessary code in IMP to prevent these
> issues.  This sort of destroys the whole idea of using a framework,
> but from an application level it works much better.

Argh, I have to go off on a short rant even though I assume you
exaggerated a bit here to make your point...

Man, do you know that you write good code? You really, really want to
have Horde_Imap_Client and Horde_Mime within Imp?

No way, not a chance!

You know quite well that there is no decent standalone IMAP client
library in the PHP world out there. You even know that your
Imap_Client is faster than the cclient crap (coded in C!) that stock
PHP offers. And you want to keep it for yourself within Imp?

No way, not a chance!

I could tell you quite a story about the use of IMAP libraries in
larger PHP projects. Things like people using the "Mail" component
from Zeta components for IMAP access. Just because there is not much
else out there. Hello?

Imap_Client is great and it is going to be a stand-alone Horde
component. Period! ;)

Cheers,

Gunnar