[dev] Horde release cycle

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Feb 11 03:47:05 UTC 2011

Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <p at rdus.de>:

> I wouldn't like to drop tarball releases completely. I never used
> them myself but I would imagine there are quite a number of people
> who prefer just extracting a tarball in the web root provided by
> their web hoster.

Well we have to focus somewhere. Unless we have actual data showing
that people will use tarballs but not pear (and see below, I think we
can make the pear barrier *really* low), I'm in favor of not worrying
about multiple ways of packaging.

> Would it be an alternative to just do tarball releases for "pear +
> framework + horde"?
>
> Lets assume people install horde-4.0 this way then they'd have the
> necessary PEAR setup to fetch any further updates from *within*
> horde. I would assume horde-components would already allow for that.
>
> All further applications could then be installed from our "App
> store" pear.horde.org. All package updates would be done in the same
> way.
>
> For Horde 4.1 we'd release one tarball again: the "pear + framework
> 4.1 + horde 4.1". But this should only be used by people doing a
> pristine install - no upgrade.
>
> Does that make sense or am I overlooking things?

That sounds about right to me, and like the way to approach the
problem - include the tools people need in a pre-configured local pear
installation.

-chuck