[dev] Horde release cycle

Gunnar Wrobel p at rdus.de
Thu Feb 10 10:33:07 UTC 2011

> Zitat von Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>>
>>> And I am still a proponent of having an application be able to
>>> indicate that a particular PEAR/Horde library needs to be a
>>> certain version in order to work properly.  Not sure if that is
>>> still something we are considering.
>>
>> Yes, that should definitely be possible, and I agree it's a good idea.
>
> That doesn't make much sense, unless it also triggers a number of
> major version bumps.
> Unless we drop tarball releases completely, a framework package
> still is part of a Horde release. So we can't simply depend on a
> certain package version from an application, without also requiring
> a certain Horde version from that application. And this is a BC
> break, so it's only possible when we bump the major versions of 1)
> the package, 2) horde and 3) the application.

I wouldn't like to drop tarball releases completely. I never used them
myself but I would imagine there are quite a number of people who
prefer just extracting a tarball in the web root provided by their web
hoster.

If we solely do PEAR releases these people would have to ensure that
they have the required PEAR installation. Sometimes this might be
present and up-to-date but I could imagine that many web hosters just
provide outdated versions. So people would have to setup their own
PEAR environment before being able to start installing Horde. While
this might not be much hassle it is likely to be more complex than
extracting a tarball.

Would it be an alternative to just do tarball releases for "pear +
framework + horde"?

Lets assume people install horde-4.0 this way then they'd have the
necessary PEAR setup to fetch any further updates from *within* horde.
I would assume horde-components would already allow for that.

All further applications could then be installed from our "App store"
pear.horde.org. All package updates would be done in the same way.

For Horde 4.1 we'd release one tarball again: the "pear + framework
4.1 + horde 4.1". But this should only be used by people doing a
pristine install - no upgrade.

Does that make sense or am I overlooking things?

Cheers,

Gunnar