[dev] Forward message with separate attachments

Gonçalo Queirós goncalo.queiros at portugalmail.net
Tue Mar 29 18:12:30 UTC 2011

On 03/29/2011 06:58 PM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:

>> Quoting goncalo.queiros at portugalmail.net:
>>
>>> Hi there list.
>>>
>>> The current behaviour when you forward a message with attachments is
>>> a bit
>>> strange, since you can't choose which attachments you really want to
>>> send
>
> [Looks like I hit the issue with early termination of a sent mail
> message :(  Here's my full response:]
>
> This was incorrect behavior.  The idea of forwarding a mail message is
> to forward the ENTIRE message - meaning, you are redirecting the
> entire contents of the original message to another person. (The
> difference between redirect and forward is that with redirect you, as
> the redirector, are transparent - the message looks like it came from
> the original sender.  Forwarding allows you to add notes/additional
> data )
>
> What you are asking for (and what Horde used to do) is instead a form
> of attachment file selection - in this case, using files stored in a
> remote e-mail message vs. the normal method of attaching files stored
> on the users' computer.  But at an abstract level, this isn't
> "forwarding" the message at all.  So it is just plain wrong behavior
> to have this behavior as a forward option.
>
> michael
>
> ___________________________________
> Michael Slusarz [slusarz at horde.org]

Ok, i understand what you said, and your point of view. The problem is
that no one else presents that behaviour (at least Gmail, Yahoo and
Thunderbird), since they all let you choose which attachments you want
to forward.

Im just saying this, because we already have Horde code in production
and the most reported bug from our users is exactly this behavior,
because they want to forward the original message, but strip the message
headers (like the sender etc), and this way they can't do it.
You can easilly see that this is a problem when you want to forward a
joke pps file but want to erase the message original sender (and
receivers)...this way, you can't.

Thanks,

--
Gonçalo Queirós
Eng. Software

*Portugalmail* | plataformas de inovação
*w.* http://www.portugalmail.net