[dev] Forward message with separate attachments

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Mar 30 04:50:04 UTC 2011

Quoting Gonçalo Queirós <goncalo.queiros at portugalmail.net>:

> Ok, i understand what you said, and your point of view. The problem is
> that no one else presents that behaviour (at least Gmail, Yahoo and
> Thunderbird), since they all let you choose which attachments you want
> to forward.

Yeah, my favorite is when your forward a PGP signed message with
Thunderbird/Gmail/Yahoo and the PGP signature part is attached as an
attachment.  Fail.

This is one of the issues of taking the "pick and choose attachments"
approach.  I wrote a somewhat detailed e-mail on the dovecot list a
few months ago regarding this:

http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2011-January/056522.html

This is a major issue.  95% of the messages may work with a basic
attachment detection strategy, but the 5% that don't will be pretty
broken.

michael