[dev] Forward message with separate attachments

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Mar 30 16:12:33 UTC 2011

Quoting Gonçalo Queirós <goncalo.queiros at portugalmail.net>:

> On 03/30/2011 06:07 AM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>> Except my user expectation is different.  Forward to me means to send
>> the entire message to a new set of users.
>
> I understand your point, but actually what is true is that end users are
> used to this behavior, and while in some features you can explain them
> that the changes is for the better, it doesn't make sense to a user
> (that was used to choose what attachments to forward) to save all
> attachments to his pc, to attach them latter to the message.

Essentially what you just said is that *my* opinion doesn't matter.
You claim that "end users" believe it should be another way.  But I'm
an end user.  And I feel that the current way is better.  Just because
some users complain doesn't mean that the old way is automatically
better.  Because I guarantee a good portion of "end users" find the
new behavior better.

> I believe the behavior you described with the real world example is
> perfect, but i think that in real world sometimes you receive documents
> that you edit only small parts. It would be fun to have to type all the
> work again, just to edit those parts, if you know what i mean.

As I mentioned, my issue is with calling this behavior "forwarding".
Because it isn't.  Calling it forwarding is confusing.  It **may** not
be confusing for someone who has used IMP 4 and/or another email
client that does the same thing.  But a user may be using IMP for the
first time, so we need to implement this correctly, not because of
what has done in the past.

> The option can leave bellow forward, it could be a pref, a conf,
> whatever. As long as the option exist, it will be a matter of fine tune
> by system administrators ;-)

As mentioned in the previous post, I would be amenable to adding this
feature, but it can't be called "Forwarding".

michael