[dev] Forward message with separate attachments

Gonçalo Queirós goncalo.queiros at portugalmail.net
Fri Apr 8 09:53:59 UTC 2011

On 04/01/2011 02:11 AM, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

>> Quoting Gonçalo Queirós <goncalo.queiros at portugalmail.net>:

>>> I understand your point, but actually what is true is that end users
>>> are
>>> used to this behavior, and while in some features you can explain them
>>> that the changes is for the better, it doesn't make sense to a user
>>> (that was used to choose what attachments to forward) to save all
>>> attachments to his pc, to attach them latter to the message.
>>
>> Essentially what you just said is that *my* opinion doesn't matter.
>> You claim that "end users" believe it should be another way.  But I'm
>> an end user.  And I feel that the current way is better.  Just
>> because some users complain doesn't mean that the old way is
>> automatically better.  Because I guarantee a good portion of "end
>> users" find the new behavior better.
>>
>>> I believe the behavior you described with the real world example is
>>> perfect, but i think that in real world sometimes you receive documents
>>> that you edit only small parts. It would be fun to have to type all the
>>> work again, just to edit those parts, if you know what i mean.
>>
>> As I mentioned, my issue is with calling this behavior "forwarding".
>>  Because it isn't.  Calling it forwarding is confusing.  It **may**
>> not be confusing for someone who has used IMP 4 and/or another email
>> client that does the same thing.  But a user may be using IMP for the
>> first time, so we need to implement this correctly, not because of
>> what has done in the past.
>
> There's no objective truth here, just opinions. I would like to see if
> there's evidence for end users (and yes, both you and I are end users,
> but we're not *average* end users) preferring one or the other.
>
> -chuck

Michael, i know you don't agree with this feature under forward, but
since this was a show stopper for our migration (our users were flooding
the support), i attached a stub of a patch that we included in forward,
but you can use it anywhere you see fit.

We also had to remove the "yellow" notice that appears when you click
the forward button, because it is duplicating the message attachments.

If you have an idea where you would like to see this feature, i can
manage the time to produce a final patch ;-)

--
Gonçalo Queirós
Eng. Software

*Portugalmail* | plataformas de inovação
*w.* http://www.portugalmail.net