[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. f8a6f7f7137d3af15f807e5cee15b31733d5156d

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Apr 15 22:31:43 UTC 2011

>>> commit 5027138546aa2b8e5ccf38c2b598e6a00c5e0f38
>>> Author: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at curecanti.org>
>>> Date:   Fri Apr 15 12:08:58 2011 -0600
>>>
>>>   Tweak time_format options
>>>
>>>   Provide description for 24-hour based formats, since it may not be
>>>   obvious before 13:00.
>>>   Remove leading-zero representations; it causes confusion when
>>> viewed after
>>>   09:59 since it looks identical.
>>>
>>> horde/config/prefs.php |   10 ++++------
>>> 1 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)
>>>
>>> http://git.horde.org/horde-git/-/commit/5027138546aa2b8e5ccf38c2b598e6a00c5e0f38
>>
>> That doesn't make sense. We remove an option from the prefs because
>> we are not able to display the difference? We should use a
>> different time for the examples then.
>
> ..and therein lies the problem.  There is no example time that would
> show the differences between the various options, because for
> 24-hour time the differences are not apparent until after 1300 but
> for leading zeros, the differences are not apparent unless before
> 1000.  We can't provide different times for each option because that
> is just confusing and provides no way to compare between the options.
>
> For a sane/reasonable set of defaults, we really shouldn't be
> providing options that hinge on a leading zero.  That is simply
> overkill.  The options provided boil down to whether you want to
> show seconds or not.

Users tend to very picky about those details, and whether leading
zeros are usually included or not might also depend on the country.
That's why I still want both versions as options. I see the confusion
with using different times for different formats though.

> And adding indication that time is 24-hour instead of 12-hour is
> much better IMHO even if the example does show times over 1300.

Agreed, and maybe we can add the same kind of indication for
zero-padded times.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/