[dev] Horde IMAP features (or why our webmail client is better than your webmail client)

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue May 24 06:57:26 UTC 2011

Been meaning to do this for awhile, and this is only sort of a
half-hearted first attempt/draft, but in the past there has been
interest into what has actually gone on internally in Horde 4/IMP 5 to
improve performance and features.  Answer: a bunch.

I can proudly state that Horde_Imap_Client, the Horde library that
powers IMP, is by far the most complete, fastest, and most feature
rich PHP library out there.  As a webmail developer, I often monitor
the other freely available options there to gauge our process.  And my
honest assessment is that we are unarguably the best solution when it
comes to features, performance, and stability.

So it might be good to list what I think some of these features are so
that others can compare and see for themselves what we do better than
anyone else.  To further this goal, I've started to add some content
to the Horde_Imap_Client page:

http://wiki.horde.org/Project/HordeImapLib

If there is interest, I will try to expand on some of the existing
entries (and add additional information).  I've thought about
providing side-by-side outputs of things like IMAP transaction logs
with other clients (webmail or desktop) to show our efficiency, but
I'm wondering if that might be too esoteric for most people - IMAP is
an incredibly complex protocol so the benefits may not be immediately
or easily recognizable.  But if there is enough interest, I would
consider providing these kind of demonstrations.

For those that don't care about any of the above, and want a distilled
version, I'll present the three things I am most proud about the
Horde_Imap_Client library:

1. PHP Memory stream support.  Unlike every other PHP library I am
aware of, our library does not keep the full data of body parts in
memory.  Since attachments can be huge (10-20 MB), this could cause
memory issues on the server.  Those running IMP 4 might be aware of
this - memory limits for PHP had to be set high, partially because the
PHP imap extension commands we used required all data to live in
memory.  However, Horde_Imap_Client instead stores body part data in
temporary streams.  These streams only store a limited amount of data
in memory (2 MB), with the rest being spooled to a temporary file
somewhere on your local system.  This results in vastly reduced memory
loads when viewing/downloading message body parts.  As an example - I
have had my memory limit set to 64 MB for over a year now.  I have not
once run out of memory (as a developer, I often play around with large
messages just to test for things like these).

2. CONDSTORE/QRESYNC support.  These are two recent IMAP extensions
specifically created to add disconnected clients (like IMP) keep their
local caches synced and to speed viewing when reloading a mailbox.
IMP is the *ONLY* open-source webmail client that I am aware of that
supports these extensions.  Discussing the exact details is beyond the
scope of this message, but absence of CONDSTORE/QRESYNC support means
two things:
   * You can not properly cache mailbox data.  Namely, flags are not
guaranteed to be synced unless they are downloaded EVERY time you
access a mailbox.  Which is very slow.  So, in other words, all other
webmail clients are essentially "broken" - only IMP does caching
correctly.
   * You can not properly keep an AJAX display synchronized.  A
well-written AJAX client contains yet another cache of mailbox data -
it needs to be synchronized with the PHP server (which in turn needs
to be synchronized with the IMAP server.  Confused yet?)  Without
CONDSTORE/QRESYNC, this can not be done correctly absent the AJAX
interface *constantly* reloading data from the server.  But this is
just a waste of bandwidth, processing power, and the user's time.
Only IMP does AJAX display correctly because we only download what is
needed.

3. Fast. The PHP imap (c-client) extension is notoriously bad at its
IMAP conversations.  It would send duplicate requests, couldn't cache
entries, and would request data for messages that you didn't even care
about (the infamous lookahead "feature").  Additionally, there were
many things that couldn't be done at all - like obtaining namespace
information on the server - because the extension did not support it
so an entirely separate library needed to be written, and and an
entirely separate connection to the IMAP server needed to be made, to
fill in the gaps.  Horde_Imap_Client has replaced all this was a
single, coherent library that has been relentlessly tuned to ensure
that we are doing things the most efficient way possible.

This is probably a good place to end this message.  I try not to be
braggy very often about the projects I am involved in, but now that
IMP 5 has begun to stabilize I figure the next step is to try to
inform people why it should be their choice.

michael