[dev] License confusion again Re: [commits] Horde branch master updated. e18902266fd2643ba6131fd800d0aa6fb922298c

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Jun 15 17:37:10 UTC 2011

Zitat von Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Am Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2011, 18:49:44 schrieb Jan Schneider:
>> Zitat von Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

>> > BTW to add to the confusion:
>> >
>> > In some cases (library) we do not ship the file anymore but only
>> > have the pear
>> > xml statements "GPL" or "LGPL" and the links either in there or in the
>> > source code which usually point to the most recent license versions.
>> >
>> > Take for example Horde_Exception.
>> >
>> > No license file shipped.
>> >
>> > The XML says LGPL and points to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html
>> > which is version 3.
>> >
>> > Exception.php also links there and points to a file COPYING (not included
>> > though)
>> >
>> > Now in this case, is it LGPL v3 or v2?
>>
>> Everything should be v2 unless explicitly specified as v3 (which we
>> don't have anywhere I think).
>>
>> Jan.
>
> Thank you for clarifying.
>
> If we can be sure there is no v3 piece one could probably sed the repo for a
> cleanup of all those links (there's plenty of them and manual work would be
> very time consuming).
>
> Should the pear xml tags also be updated?

Yes.

> In distribution I use tokens from this table:
> http://spdx.org/licenses/
>
> but I don't know if this is also practice in pear.

I haven't seen those being used anywhere yet. But AFAIK you can enter
what you want in the license tag. I just learned that it also supports
an optional filesource attribute that can reference to any licence
file bundled with the package. We should probably use those at least
for the applications.

> I won't touch that part again though before all bits are clear.
> Don't want to mess up ;-)
>

> --
> Ralf Lang
> Linux Consultant / Developer
>
> B1 Systems GmbH
> Osterfeldstraße 7 / 85088 Vohburg / http://www.b1-systems.de
> GF: Ralph Dehner / Unternehmenssitz: Vohburg / AG: Ingolstadt,HRB 3537

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/