[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 4fd2c31bf65accb6717f1330cbd8cc2b3ef1c9ba

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Jul 26 05:34:51 UTC 2011

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:

>>> Please add a changelog and bump the minor api and package version.
>>
>> Sure thing. Can someone refresh me on the current best practice for
>> doing so (package vs. horde CHANGES), and if there's a components
>> helper to do so?
>
> Application changes go into both the app's package.xml _and_ the
> apps' CHANGES file. For framework libraries, the change log goes
> into the package's package.xml file as well as the base horde app's
> CHANGES file.

I (still) vehemently disagree with the latter statement.  It is
tremendously confusing to put changelog entries in horde for things
that don't live in horde.

Sure enough, I was completely confused by a recent changelog entry
that appeared in the horde changelog.  I think mjr fixed something in
Horde_Imap_Client, but then put a changelog entry in Horde.  Besides
the fact that this really makes no sense from a practical standpoint
(Horde_Imap_Client is *completely* independent from Horde the
application), it also made no sense because the fix affected nothing
in Horde.  It affected nothing in framework for that matter (outside
of the Imap Client package).  I spent a good amount of time trying to
figure out what this fixed in Horde, and I'm probably the person most
familiar with the imap code.  That is a terrible sign if that occurs.

I understand the motive to put everything into a single, easily
discoverable location.  But you simply CAN'T do this if the underlying
theory is unsound.  Which it is here.  We made the decision to make
framework packages != horde the application.  So we can't use the
Horde changelog for these entries.  That is the unfortunate, but
necessary, side effect of that decision.

A possible alternative: a script that gathers all changelog entries
from packages relied on by an application that have changed since the
previous release date of the prior application version.  But these
entries must be logically/physically distinguished from the changes
made in the horde application itself (i.e. files living under horde/
in the master repo).

michael