[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. a17bb3c3d198faec8c4d4bcb6193106171cb9a5a

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Oct 19 18:32:23 UTC 2011

>> commit a17bb3c3d198faec8c4d4bcb6193106171cb9a5a
>> Author: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
>> Date:   Tue Oct 18 11:58:26 2011 -0600
>>
>>    Fix IMP's handling of POP3 UIDs that contain indices control characters
>>
>>    Use Horde_Imap_Client_Base::getIdsOb()
>>    Move JS indices code to separate file, and update for new POP3 format
>
> Awwww crap... realized that we needed duplicate versions of the
> parsing code because the smartphone view isn't using prototypejs.
>
> Really hate having to maintain duplicate code for the same action.
> Converting everything to jquery is not an option - I am thoroughly
> unimpressed with jquery in general.  It feels like it is trying to
> be everything to everyone (a complaint some level at PHP).  IMHO,
> prototypejs is much more thought out and feels much more like an
> extension of javascript - i.e. things javascript SHOULD have but
> doesn't - rather than trying to be a full blown application
> framework, which is not desirable.

I wholeheartedly agree, I was very disappointed from jQuery as soon as
I started to work with it. For developing JS applications prototypejs
is by far the better option.
But to be fair, that's not what jQuery was intended for. It's really
about creating interfaces, effects and widgets, not complex
applications. It's more like scriptaculous. And jQuery Mobile takes
this to even higher limits. And in that regard, jqm is really awesome,
and there is no equivalent for prototypejs in sight.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/