[dev] Horde as a framework

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Oct 31 19:39:15 UTC 2011

> http://fabien.potencier.org/article/49/what-is-symfony2
>
> Good post and impressive list. This is where I think we lag behind
> as a framework, and where we have an opportunity to either leverage
> our own components - which are great, but which I personally have
> less time to work on these days - or to start using some of the
> symfony/zend/whatever components to replace our own and move faster.
> Obviously we used to leverage more PEAR libs and there were
> challenges to that, but maybe things have changed?
>
> Or maybe not. Mostly throwing this out for discussion.

Personally, I would rather not start using another framework's
components unless there was a *really* good reason. At least not for
any type of major functionality. It's not so much about NIH for me,
but more about control. I like the fact that we are using less and
less PEAR libs. While it *does* increase our workload a bit (more
libraries to maintain for one thing), it gives us *way* more
flexibility and control. ... and while it might not always turn out
this way, it should translate into less time to work a bug/issue (no
headaches with getting upstream to even ack your question/bug
report/patch etc...)

Also, IMO, if we are going to continue to try to push Horde as not
just a groupware stack, but also a PHP framework, I'm not sure
borrowing another framework's libraries for any major functionality
would send the right signal. We may not have the same number of
libraries, but those that we *do* have are both extremely well thought
out and designed to our own high standards ... at least that's the
hope ;)

mike

--
mike