[dev] Resetting sort order in IMP

Ronan SALMON rsalmon at mbpgroup.com
Tue Nov 8 09:10:35 UTC 2011

Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> a écrit :

>> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> I explicitly did not do this because that setting doesn't belong
>>> in there.  *All* of our sorting options are currently contained in
>>> the header bar - locating a sorting option elsewhere is confusing
>>> and unintuitive.
>>
>> Maybe it's just me, but I found the context menu on the sort header
>> even less intuitive. Though I now remember that you even mentioned
>> this place in the past.
>> The "Other" entry might not be intuitive, but while searching for
>> that link, this was the first place I looked, lacking any other
>> options that would have made sense to me. Maybe we can put them in
>> both places.
>
> I don't think we need this option in two places.  Especially since
> it is a rarely used option: based on your experience, it took you
> months, if not years, to figure out that this has changed.  Can't
> remember when I changed this, but it was probably at a minimum last
> year.
>
> This touches a bit on a very interesting UI discussion regarding the
> Win 8 task manager, especially regarding designing from the
> perspective of most used features:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/13/the-windows-8-task-manager.aspx
>
> (The earlier post about redesigning file operations is also
> interesting, whether you agree or disagree with what they came up
> with).
>
>>> Maybe you want something like the vertical layout sort dropdown
>>> (which doesn't currently contain Clear Sort either).
>>
>> Yes, that's fine too, and I was looking for something like that
>> during the search. But I don't know where to put this in the
>> horizontal view.
>
> Try what I committed.  I stuck it next to the select all box, since
> that is the only column that doesn't have sorting semantics
> associated with it.  Additionally, I made it a more generic menu so
> we can stick other stuff there in the future (labeling the dropdown
> with 'Sort' is very confusing in this view).

IMHO, that's definitely not intuitive. End users will never find out
where to click to get the sort menu. They will never realize that such
menu exists.
And I find very handy (since I'm using it :-)) the original behaviour
"Right click on header bar in dynamic view".

I like the sort menu, but I think this should go in the "Other" menu.

Ronan.