[dev] Resetting sort order in IMP

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Nov 8 09:33:49 UTC 2011

Zitat von Ronan SALMON <rsalmon at mbpgroup.com>:

> Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> a écrit :

>>> Maybe it's just me, but I found the context menu on the sort
>>> header even less intuitive. Though I now remember that you even
>>> mentioned this place in the past.
>>> The "Other" entry might not be intuitive, but while searching for
>>> that link, this was the first place I looked, lacking any other
>>> options that would have made sense to me. Maybe we can put them in
>>> both places.
>>
>> I don't think we need this option in two places.  Especially since
>> it is a rarely used option: based on your experience, it took you
>> months, if not years, to figure out that this has changed.  Can't
>> remember when I changed this, but it was probably at a minimum last
>> year.

True.

>> This touches a bit on a very interesting UI discussion regarding
>> the Win 8 task manager, especially regarding designing from the
>> perspective of most used features:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/13/the-windows-8-task-manager.aspx

That's an interesting read, and a nice solution for one our common
problems: a diverse user group.

>> (The earlier post about redesigning file operations is also
>> interesting, whether you agree or disagree with what they came up
>> with).

>>> Yes, that's fine too, and I was looking for something like that
>>> during the search. But I don't know where to put this in the
>>> horizontal view.
>>
>> Try what I committed.  I stuck it next to the select all box, since
>> that is the only column that doesn't have sorting semantics
>> associated with it.  Additionally, I made it a more generic menu so
>> we can stick other stuff there in the future (labeling the dropdown
>> with 'Sort' is very confusing in this view).
>
> IMHO, that's definitely not intuitive. End users will never find out
> where to click to get the sort menu. They will never realize that
> such menu exists.
> And I find very handy (since I'm using it :-)) the original
> behaviour "Right click on header bar in dynamic view".
>
> I like the sort menu, but I think this should go in the "Other" menu.

I don't agree. I like that solution. This was actually the second
place where I looked for such an entry after the "Others" menu.
One tiny issue though: the icon that highlights the current sort order
is the drop down icon, which is a bit irritating and makes you want to
click on it for further options. It should probably some tick icon.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/