[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. bc5b08ba9bd5b3a0f85bb81687c44c14deee3e89

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Sat Nov 19 02:09:20 UTC 2011

>>> Yes, that's exactly the reason why I picked this one as an example
>>> path. For most distros it's the *real* path.
>>
>> Getting a bit off the subject... but in 15+ years of dealing with
>> 100's of servers, I honestly can't think of a single time I have
>> ever seen /var/www as the path.  So, at a minimum, this disconnect
>> between what you believe is the default and what I know indicates
>> that /var/www is worthless when it comes to a useful example.
>
> I wouldn't say worthless. Most, if not all, of the popular distros
> currently use /var/www (or /srv/www in the case of CentOS) for
> Apache. I don't remember off-hand, but I'm almost certain that
> lightty defaults to this as well. If you compile from sources i.e.,
> do not use the packaging, then yes, Apache defaults to
> /usr/local/apache2. I hardly think that this warrants calling
> /var/www "worthless" as an example. At the very least, the 'www' is
> a sure indicator that this is a web accessible directory.
>
>   (For the
>> record, Apache, which runs 65% of all websites, by default serves
>> out of /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/dir/).
>>
>> As mentioned, I don't really care what we put in here, it just
>> can't be as long as the previous /var/www/horde - this name is
>> simply overkill for its purpose of being a placeholder.  And, as
>> previously mentioned, this lengthy name was causing lines to wrap
>> over 80 chars, which make those lines difficult to visually parse
>> (not to mention that incorrectly wrapped lines just looks
>> tremendously unprofessional - the horde INSTALL document is
>> arguably the most important documentation we have; we should do
>> everything possible to make sure that document is as neat and
>> organized as can be).
>
> By the same argument, I would say that it needs to be not only as
> neat and organized as possible, but also as *clear* as possible.
> Using a directory like '/horde' or '/var/horde', IMO, is not as
> clear as using '/var/www/' or even '/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/dir',
> though the latter is much too long for an placeholder.
>
>> Maybe this is the proper time to decide on an example directory,
>> and document in CODING_STANDARDS.  FWIW, I would not mind if we
>> simply defaulted to '/horde'.
>
> I had thought we already had this, but reading over the docs I do
> not see it...so, I agree we should decide and document this.

I guess this is just one of those cases where none of these arguments
work for me.  /var/www means nothing to me.  Maybe it does to you, but
again - there is nothing special about that directory.  That's even
more reason to provide a totally made-up directory: so nobody does get
mixed signals about what this is supposed to mean.  And we **really,
really, really** should not be expecting someone to simply drop horde
in a directory and expect it to work.

But I have other things to fight about.  But whatever we do, we have
to make sure that the channel-discover line is not wrapped on
80-column displays, unlike before.

michael